ATT Developer Resources
AT&T provides a variety of resources for the mobile application developers. It is known as devCentral.
The following sections give a brief overview of the network, resources provided by AT&T to the developers.
ATT supports a variety of platforms on its network. Following are the examples of some of these,
All the applications developed for the IPhone using the Iphone SDK, can be used on the ATT network.
Oracle's wide choice on the embeddable databases enables market to meet industry-specific (business and technical) requirements with a close check on performance, scalability, availability, security and compliance, data warehousing and manageability factors.
ATT wireless network supports a variety of devices supporting Java ME applications. If you build Java ME applications for business customers, AT&T offers a certification program for enterprise solutions.
- Nokia Series 40
Developers can develop and deploy a variety of applications on this platform. They include Java, Adobe FlashLite applications. It is also a good platform for content creators.
Devices supporting Nokia Series 40 platform,
- Palm Smartphones and Handhelds
- RIM Blackberry
- Symbian OS
- S60 on Symbian OS
- Windows Mobile 6 overview.
Tools and Technologies
- Mobile Web
The majority of Internet-enabled devices on AT&T's wireless network use
Wireless Application Protocol 2.0 (WAP 2.0).
- Downloadable Applications
- Location Based Services
devCentral brings you information from the two leading map data providers, NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas.
AT&T is in the process of implementing three types of location determination methods to provide location information for enterprise location-based applications.
1) GPS capability in the phones. Use the GPS in autonomous mode to get the location without the help of the ATT wireless network.
2) GPS capability without the embedded GPS chip, but connecting an external GPS deivce via Bluetooth connection.
3) “Assisted GPS” will use AT&T’s wireless network to determine the location of the device. Cell ID and Enhanced Cell ID location determination to supplement the location determination provided by A-GPS.
More information on the Maps can be found on the following links,
- Messaging Applications
AT&T provides different types of messaging applications. Messaging brings interaction to your applications.
a) External Access Gateway (EAG)
EAG offers 3 different Application Transport services: SMS, MMS and WAP PUSH
- Mobile Web 2.0 Technologies
- Mobile Web Standards
- Really Simple Syndication (RSS)
MEdia Net Content Providers can build RSS readers for a WAP application to offer RSS content feeds.
Media Net is the official mobile Web content provider for AT&T.
- Streaming Audio and Video