1. V CAST Music
V CAST Music lets Verizon subscribers explore and purchase form a catalog of millions of music tracks both on their phone and their computer. One of Verizon’s new open architecture features allows applications to search our content catalogs via OTA or WiFi connections. Developers commonly build against our catalog search API’s in order to build in cross-selling functionality with Verizon applications into their applications.
We encourage Music Application Partners to join our Music Affiliate program. Verizon will work closely with selected Affiliate partners to integrate the V CAST Music and Tones catalog into their application. If you are interested in submitting a Music Application to the Verizon Developer Community, please click here.
Verizon Wireless will be providing Music API documentation to the VDC community in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!
2. Premium Messaging
The Verizon Wireless Premium Messaging platform allows content providers to provide VZW Subscribers with access to Premium Content delivered via SMS and MMS such as:
• Interactive Television - Message Originating (MO) traffic driven by ‘live-response' television promotions (other ‘live' mediums include iRadio, chat, voting, contests,text 2 screen, in venue)
• Mobile Marketing - MO traffic driven by ‘direct-response' visual marketing messages present in the real world (i.e., stadium events, billboards, product labeling)
• Premium Content - Message Terminating (MT) traffic perceived as valuable content (i.e., Severe Weather alert)
• Mobile Advertising - MT messages with ads, coupons and brand communication requested by the user
• Online Photo Portal - MO traffic driven by users uploading pictures, text, sound, and videos to online photo portals
• Blogs / Distribution Lists (Blast / Share) - MO traffic driven by users uploading pictures, text, sound, and videos to online blogs which in turn broadcast uploads to users who subscribe to these lists for immediate view instead having to visit a website to view uploaded user generated content
• Alerts, Jokes, Ringtones, Wallpaper, etc
• VZW and non-VZW Branded campaigns
3. Mobile Web 2.0
VZW has implemented a content optimization service (COS) which reformats and simplifies existing designs for viewability and usability.
Dashboard Channels provide linkage to VZW services:
• Mobile Web
• GetitNow Applications
• GIN Search
• V Cast Video
• V Cast Music
Supports ads, promotions and direct access to:
• Ringtones and Ringback Tones
• Mobile Web Sites
• VZ Navigator
• ESPN MVP
• Pix Place (Mobile Web link-away),
• Consumer eMail (Mobile Web link-away), etc.
The Dashboard service consists of three major components:
• A content application server
• A Flash-based handset client, and
• A collection of rich multimedia Flash "channels" (i.e. mobile widgets).
5. Network Enablers
Verizon will be exposing core network capabilities such as LBS, Messaging, Voice Recognition and Calendar APIs for mobile development. The Verizon Network Enabler Kit (VNEK) Installation Guide will describe the system requirements, download, and installation procedures required to set up the network enabler development and simulation environment. The Installation Guide and Verizon Network Enabler Kit will be available shortly. Stay tuned! Not yet available for developers.
6. BREW Development
Verizon's BREW enabled handsets provide the critical distribution mechanism. It's up to developers to build the compelling applications that customers want, driving user adoption. We are actively seeking high quality applications to make available to our subscribers. Over half of the Verizon Wireless customer base has BREW-enabled wireless phones. Each of these phones is capable of running robust applications enhanced with graphics and sound that are TRUE BREWTM certified.
Verizon Wireless invites you to join the BREW Developer Community; we urge you to go to www.qualcomm.com/brew to register and download the BREW SDK. As an authenticated BREW Developer, you will have access to the QUALCOMM Developer Extranet, as well as support from QUALCOMM while developing your application.